Monday, November 30, 2009

I Am A Winner!


I have participated in National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) several times over the past few years, but this is the first time I can say ...

I am a NaNoWriMo WINNER!

Despite the fact that I work full-time and attend graduate school part-time, I have successfully written 50,000+ words in 30 days.

The exhilaration of finally completing NaNoWriMo is more than I expected.  I didn't think I would be so excited, so elated, so self-satisfied with my success.  And this is really quite a big accomplishment.  While it is most certainly not the best thing that I have written, it is by far the longest piece that I have ever written.  For a long time - several years, really - I doubted whether I possessed the stamina to write a novel-length piece.  Thanks to NaNoWriMo 2009, I have proven to myself that I can.  While I still have quite a few more words to write before the story is complete, I am now confident that I can complete it, and even though I know that it's not my best work, after I write those last few chapters I know that I will have a complete rough draft to work from - and you can never have a great final version without a (crappy) rough draft as your starting point.

Have you ever attempted NaNoWriMo?  How did you do?
 

2 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! Congrats!!! I'm so proud of you! When this book is completed and published (or about to be published) I would love to read it!!! ^_^

    I've never participated in it but would love to. Maybe next year I will make an attempt. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's a long way from publishable quality - in fact, I would sat that right now it's just a big steaming pile of crap. But it will improve, with many, MANY revisions :)

    I'm thinking about going the self-publishing route. The publishing market is looking pretty grim these days. Maybe I should post about that.

    ReplyDelete