Tuesday, June 11, 2013


In case you didn't already catch this, yesterday (June 10) would have been Maurice Sendak's 85th birthday.  In recognition, Google posted a Sendak-themed animated Doodle (a themed logo).  Sadly, I didn't see it first-hand, since I always search directly from my browser, but I was lucky enough to come across a friend's posting about it on Facebook.  (You can view an archive of Google Doodles - including Sendak's - here.)

I've always loved Where the Wild Things Are.  I even wrote up a proposal to adapt the book into a musical for a class when I was in college.  But it only occurred to me today that I haven't read any of his other books, which is a shame, because his catalog and work is extensive and impressive.

So, I'm thinking: At the tender age of 34, it's time I finally read the entire Maurice Sendak library.  How creepy would it be if I just go to the local library and hang out in the kids' section reading Maurice Sendak?  Too much?

No comments:

Post a Comment